Monday, September 12, 2011

Aunt Nola's Brownies




I live in the same small town that I grew up in. Part of living where I grew up means that I have a lot of family around me. My (Great) Aunt Nola was a big part of this little town. She was known for her great food. She passed away last year, but she is lovingly remembered often around here. One thing that helps me think of her is food. I have several recipes that link right back to her. This is probably in the top three.

This recipe also reminds me of my mom. Whenever she is asked to bring a treat to a party or get-together she will most likely choose these brownies. This was actually my first time making them all by myself. It is an extremely quick and easy recipe that pretty much has a no-fail guarantee!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cubes of butter or margarine (softened)
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs (I only had medium so I did 7)
1 Tablespoon of vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa
3 cups flour
1/2 t salt

1. Mix all of your ingredients together. I started with my butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Then sift in your flour, cocoa, and salt. I was going to try and be buff and mix it by hand.... don't. If you have a mixer, use it. I don't know why I had that thought! I love my Kitchen Aid!

2. Butter and flour your jelly-roll pan. Do this by brushing a light layer of Crisco all over your pan. Then put a small amount of flour on top and tip your pan around so it coats the pan. I find that tapping the back of the pan helps to move it when it's all stuck in one place. Practice makes perfect. You'll get it.

3. Pour your brownie mix into your pan and spread it around. Push it as little as possible since you don't want to disrupt your flour job you just did.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. When you check it at the 20 minute mark go ahead and lightly tap the brownies. If it feels pretty doughy still or if it is still raised a ways above the rim of the pan they probably aren't done. They will settle back to the height of the pan when they are done. Check with a toothpick to be double sure.

These are great when paired with ice cream (especially with all of the toppings), or frosted (homemade or store bought), or plain. Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

  1. you should learn how to take appetizing pictures so people will have their mouths water when they see the pictures :) I love these brownies though. I endorse them fully.

    ReplyDelete