Thursday, July 7, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

A small sample of a recipe from the Worldwide Ward Cookbook! So Good!

I don’t know what it is about Banana Bread, but I NEVER feel like making it. Maybe it could be attributed to my ‘meh’ view on cake. I always feel bad because my hubby will get so excited when the bananas start to really ripen. He’ll give me ‘the look’ and proclaim “It look like we can make Banana Bread.” Sadly… I never make it. This past week we’ve had some exceptionally ripe bananas. We went through the ritual. Each day I look at the bananas and think ‘Um, no.’ Today I looked at them and had an epiphany. I wondered if I could find a recipe for Banana cookies (preferably with chocolate chips because that’s how I roll). I searched through a few of my favorite cookbooks and I found one. YAY!!!! I’m thinking I won’t have issues using old bananas anymore.

Ingredients:
2/3 C shortening
1 C sugar
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 1/2 C Flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 C chocolate chips
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla

1. Combine all of the wet ingredients, then add the dry ingredients. Mix well (I used my mixer).

2. Spoon cookie dough onto cookie sheet. It will seem really wet, but it will be amazing!

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. (I baked mine for 15 because mine seemed not quite there. Make sure to check yours between 10-12, but don’t seem surprised if you need to let it bake a little longer.)

(Added March 2012: When I made them this time I went with the 12 minutes. They looked really pale, but were still cooked all of the way through. They are delicious!)

053

2 comments:

  1. How can you not like banana bread??? It is the most amazing type of bread in existence! Anywho, these look delicious. I bet if you threw some cocoa powder in them, they would be even more amazing! (Who doesn't like more chocolate?!) Also, if you did peanut butter, they would be a like a chunky monkey version. (I thought of that after I made my muffins... sigh.. another time I guess, when I actually have more bananas.) I've also thought about using banana chips in cookies. Oh! I'm so excited to do more baking now! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your hubby needs to learn to make banana bread :)

    Another thing I do with overripe bananas is peel them and put in them in a ziploc and freeze. They can be added to frozen to smoothies or thawed for baking purposes. I always seem to have just one banana left over and banana recipes always seem to call for three! I will have to make these sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete